The roots of creativity artistic activity in Glastonbury go back to the days of the Abbey when the monks were copying and illustrating ancient books and manuscripts. They were also decorating the abbey buildings themselves with paintings and murals.
With the dissolution of the monasteries, records of artistic activity largely disappear but we do know that in 1551 Flemish weavers were brought to Glastonbury and settled in the Abbott's Kitchen in the Abbey grounds – by then the only complete building remaining.
During the 20th century there was a steady increase in the number of artists, authors, painters arriving in the town.Today the creative arts are flourishing. The shops in the High Street are brightly coloured, murals are starting to appear on buildings, the Red Brick Building has become a centre for local artists, and there are various galleries and training courses in the town.